Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Trying Ohhh Sooo Hard!

That's me... tryin' so hard to gain some spirit! It's already the 10th of December, and I'm just not feelin' it. Where's my Christmas spirit? I do wish I could find it, but it's just too hard this year. I'm just kind of going through the motions right now and trying to make it to a new year. I just can hardly fathom that we will be having Christmas without Dad... he absolutely loved Christmas with his whole heart. As he stated in his family Christmas newsletter last year, "I am positively and absolutely, unapologetically a Christmas groupie -- not quite a junkie, but surely a groupie." And so he was!

I've put up some decorations, but that's about the extent of it. I am so happy that we now have our own home this year and I do enjoy decorating for the holidays, but I just can't seem to get the full-blown enjoyment out of it right now. At this time last year, we were spending time in my parent's home... we were away at friend's for the weekend and we had stopped into Altoona to see how my dad decked out their house for Christmas. I am just so sad and hurt that the "magic" that my dad seemed to put into our Christmas celebrations will never be embraced again. All we have now are memories.

Aside from the decorations part, Christmas Eve will forever be changed without my dad's messages. I looked forward to going home to church every Christmas Eve to hear my dad preach... and luckily we took the video camera with us to the service last year and did record some of my dad's very last Christmas Eve service. Now I can barely even make it into a church. I know it shouldn't be that way, but I believe it's just temporary as I continue to grieve and let out my frustrations. Afterall, I don't go to church to worship my dad... I go to worhip God.

And, then there is Amelia. This was to be our first Christmas with our new baby Amelia. Again, this just doesn't seem fair. But, we will make it. We might not have everything that we had hoped we'd have, but there is still so much that we DO have, and I know that we are blessed in many ways. So with that thought, I will just say that God is good and merciful!

So like I said, I have put up some decorations and I'd like to share them of course! I didn't get around to any of my usual cookie baking or card-making for this year, but I always decorate.

I love that we now have a fireplace mantel to embellish...
The carved angel with the nativity scene is a Jim Shore collectible piece that we actually gave as a present to my dad last Christmas. He had just started collecting some of the Jim shore pieces about a year before. I think it's beautiful on our mantel, and I can't help but to think of him every time I look at it!

The metal silver tree is also from my parents collection. I've decorated it with all old glass ornaments from when my mom and dad were kids. The Mary and Joseph with baby Jesus wall hanging is actually a pastel drawing/painting that I did one year for them as a gift.

I decided that this year, the only tree that I wanted us to put up was the babies' tree. Last year I had been wanting to get a small white tree to hold all the ornaments that I was collecting in memory of our first baby and of Ava. I found a cute pre-lit white tree the day after Christmas. Since we now lost Amelia too, I thought that we could honor their remembrance this year by putting up their baby tree only, and I think that is what we'll do now every year until and "if" we welcome home another baby. Here's the tree and a few close-ups of some of the new ornaments for this year...

And last for the time being, my wonderful hubby brought me home a beautiful surprise the other night. He got these three sweet bear stockings embroidered with each of the baby's names! I was speechless...
He said he wants us to start our own new Christmas tradition of writing notes to our angels every Christmas Eve and putting them into their stockings! Isn't that a beautiful tradition?! I think so!

17 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Andrea I totally know what you are feeling about your father, as I feel the same way about my mom. I am so sorry for your loss, I truly am praying for you and Mugi. By the way, I love seeing your house! I bet it's completely beautiful!

I will be thinking of you often and hope and pray that you find the Christmas spirit!

Char said...

That is very beautiful and a great idea about the notes. I am feeling for you about your father, I know it must be hard. I will continue to pray for you and your family. I hope that your spirits lift soon!

Lorrie said...

beautiful post. I hope you begin to find the joy of Christmas, even while dealing with the grief and heartbreak that you are.
Merry Christmas, and God bless..

Stampin' Meg said...

Your decorations are beautiful. And your Dad and the girls ARE there as they live on in your memories of them.

Jen Martakis said...

Oh Andrea, my heart aches for you. I really wish I could just give you a big hug. You are an incredible woman and I admire your strength. I will be praying for you.

BTW, your decorations are absolutely beautiful.

Amy said...

Andrea, Your decorations are beautiful and touching! Don't be too hard on yourself if you don't do all the things you always do this time of year... do what you can and know that your dad and your children are spending this Christmas watching over you.

Aleta said...

AWWW - those stockings made me cry! What a wonderful and thoughtful DH you have!

Hugs Andrea - hope you find some Christmas spirit. I'll be thinking and praying for you and your family this Christmas as I'm sure it will be a difficult one!

email me your addy if/when you get a chance!!!

Staci Taylor said...

Aww, andrea, my heart just hurts for you my friend. I hope that you are able to find some kind of peace this holiday season. I am so thankful that you have such a wonderful hubby to help you through this time!

Anonymous said...

Oh Andrea your place looks just beautiful...so full of love and memories, you are an amazing person!! I hope you do know that they are all with you...watching over you. God Bless...

Beth said...

It's good to see that it looks like you're carrying on your father's Christmas tradition of decorating. He would probably want it that way, as hard as it is for you. I bet you're making him happy. I'm praying that you have a good year in 2009 & are blessed two-fold to make up for this year.

Fink said...

I am sorry that this year brings a Christmas without your dad. I am betting that your day wants you to remember the ones past and to look for those times in guidance. Please start your new times happy with love and laughter and smiling of your dad!

Janine Wahl said...

Stay strong and wishing you some happiness this Christmas despite it all.

I think that will be a lovely tradition to write notes and place them in the stockings. Take care.

joybear said...

So very beautiful,

Anonymous said...

Hi Andrea,

Just wanted to say I'm thinking of you and I hope you had a happy and healthy Christmas. I love that angel you have. I love those Shore pieces. I have the pumpkin for thanksgiving and for years I had no idea people collected them.

Thinking of you! Sending hugs too!

Debrasunshine said...

Hi Andrea,

Just stopped by to see how you are doing. Hugs your way.

Btw love the Jim Shore angel! I have a pumpkin and bought it just because I liked it, never knowing how many pieces there are. Yours is beautiful!

Hugs! I hope your Christmas was filled with joy.

Anonymous said...

Oh Andrea, my heart aches for you and Mugi and what a sweet present did he give to you. Hope you will have a fourth stocking there next year to load with pressents. How special and thoughtful, he is amazing.
I love your decorations too girl.

wendyp said...

what a beautiful tradition to start. It'll be 15 years next week since I lost my father and even after all this time the holidays are still the hardest time. I hope that 2009 brings you joy and peace that you deserve. (hugs)