Wednesday, February 11, 2009

I've Sluffed Off of the blogging...

and I can't believe it's been almost 2 months since I posted any updates! I really don't have any good excuses except to say that the holidays probably threw me off a bit and I just haven't been feeling like doing much of anything these days. So, rather than come on here and moan and groan about how life sucks lately, I decided to stay away. But, I'm back.

Christmas was okay. Our lil' family all gathered here at our new home on Christmas Day and it was really nice. We all had many many thoughts of dad and happy memories of him circulating around all day long and I know that I could feel his presence here in spirit. Rather than having an empty space at the head of the dining room table where dad usually would sit, we placed a pillar candle in place of the plate-setting, and lit it while we were having our meal. My mom, my brother, my niece and I also received very special gifts that day courtesy of my sister-in-law, Wendy. After dad died and we had gone through his things in preparation of moving mom, Wendy saved articles of dad's clothing and gave them to her sister who makes quilts. So we were all very surprised Christmas day when each of us opened up boxes with our own lap-sized quilt made from fabric remnants of dad's clothes! She also included this framed poem inside the box with the quilt...

Little bits of fabric
Sewn into a quilt
Form a warm and loving blanket
From which memories are built,
And when you seek
Peace and comfort
In the quiet of the night,
It will keep you warm and snug
Until the morning's light.
All of the quilts looked different, as each was made using different pieces of his clothing. Mine is white, tan and blue... the blue from a pair of basketball shorts he liked to wear while lounging about the house. The tans came from some of his khaki pants and the white from his t-shirts. I just love this quilt, and we keep closeby on the back of our reclining chair.

A new Michael's Crafts store just recently opened up in our area and I am very excited about that! I haven't been close to a craft store since living in Altoona, and that's been almost 4 years already, so it's about time our area here finally got something. I NEED crafts and scrapbooking stores!!! I also applied for a job there too. I thought it would be perfect since I had 5 years of experience from being a Scrapbooking Dept. head at an AC Moore. I finally feel that I'm to the point where I can get back to working in the public again (most days anyway). I still have anxieties of being around people in public who have babies, and that is one of the things that keeps me from wanting to go back to work. I know probably most people can't understand that and may find it odd, but it is in a way, a disability for me (at least that is my view of it). I hate it, but it is now part of a process for me and I need to work through it. The grieving process and the cycle of re-grouping one's self after the loss of a baby sometimes feels like an eternity. Anyway, looks like I was too late to the party in applying for a full-time position as they were all filled right after the New Year and all that was left were part-time. I did have an interview but was not hired. After finally initiating that first step of wanting to get back to some normalcy, it was a bit disappointing not getting a job, but I'm already over it. So for now, I am still just working from home doing my Design Team work for Creative Xpress, and maybe when the time is right again, something else will fall into my lap.

Since I'm behind in my blogging, I'm also behind in showing my previous CX projects so I'll finally get caught up in posting some of those...these are my projects that were featured over there for the month of November. The scrapbook page is one of my all time favorites... it's photos from my wedding day of dad and I dancing. Such a happy memory!


My assignment this month was to create a Father’s Day page using embellishments created with the Cricut Expressions and Cuttlebug machines.

Having just recently lost my dad, this “Father’s Day” assignment could not have come at a more perfect time. I find scrapbooking to be very theraputic when dealing with a personal loss, and with this I was able to create a meaningful page about my father that I can now treasure.


A full tutorial with supplies and instructions can be found over at my CX BLOGS at Creative Xpress.

And here are 2 Mother's Day themed card ideas that I did...

“God Sent Mothers” Card

Because of the message of the quote that I used here for the card’s sentiment, I chose to create an elegant looking Mother’s Day card. Full tutorial can be found HERE...


Tic Tac Toe “MOM” Card


Again, you can see a full tutorial for this card HERE...
Thanks again for taking a look! :) Enjoy the rest of your weeek!

16 comments:

vintage girl at heart said...

Soooooo good to see you back blogging, I always pop in to see if you have posted.
The quilts are so lovely and what a comfort they must be to you and your Family.
I love your layout and that card too.. just wonderful, both of them.
I am so happy for you about Michael's too, maybe it will be a good thing. I((think))I know what you mean about the crowds and babies, just take it one step at a time.
You are always in my prayers.

Fink said...

I am glad to see you finally updated and certainly understand why! I think it is a good idea you applied at Michaels! Maybe it will help you more than you are expecting!

Mireille said...

YAY!!! an update!
Missed you blogging sweetie!!
The blanket made me cry.. what a WONDERFULL idea!! totally awesome!
YAY for you for applying!
It's a step sweetie!! and a big one!
Your always in my thoughts!

Staci Taylor said...

Good to see you back in blogging land, girl :-) Glad that xmas was good, although i'm sure it was very hard! That was an amazingly sweet gift from your SIL - how thoughtful of her! I'm sure you'll always cherish that quilt! Gorgeous work, girl!

Staci Taylor said...

Good to see you back in blogging land, girl :-) Glad that xmas was good, although i'm sure it was very hard! That was an amazingly sweet gift from your SIL - how thoughtful of her! I'm sure you'll always cherish that quilt! Gorgeous work, girl!

Elizabeth said...

Hey girl! I've tried several times to email you and it keeps messing up. Not sure why either.

I am glad that you are doing as well as you can be! I pray for you daily!!

I love your projects, I always do!

What a totally great gift in that quilt, and what a great idea too!

I hope your having a really great weekend!

Julie Overby said...

What a very special gift. What a neat idea!!

All your projects are gorgeous Andrea!!

Anonymous said...

Yay! You're back!! I've missed you blogging! LOVE the page of you and your dad... how special! Hope you had a wonderful Valentine's day Andrea. Smiles! Amy Tara

Emily said...

Glad to have you back my dear. You have been missed. I love your layout it is exquisite. Someday I will scrap with detail again until then I will envy yours. You seem so much stronger right now, but I remember that feeling when I saw babies or pregnant women when out in public it was almost a panic and I was angry. I am so glad you are starting to think about getting back into the swing. All in good time! Thank you for your lovely thoughts about Cora. I didn't even know her but have been so affected by her passing. I can't explain why but it has really shaken me. You are always in my prayers my sweet.

ellen s. said...

glad you are back blogging, i am sure the holidays were hard. i will send some positive thoughts and prayers your way, i hope that can bring you some comfort. you are in pa, right? how close are we? i live near selinsgrove and we are getting a michaels. if that is the one you are talking about that would be nuts!

Rachael said...

What a fabulous idea with the quilt!!! A great memory!!

Beautiful projects!!

Peggy said...

That quilt is such a special gift, amazing! I love your CX projects too, great job!

ellen s. said...

no WAY! i live in paxinos
not sure where you are but email me
esosnosk@gmail.com!

Anonymous said...

Andrea It has been a long time no blogging for me life got out of hand, i know you have a lot on your plate but if you get some time could you please email me at jekarma@iinet.net.au
I really need you help with something
thanks
Kirsty

Jen Martakis said...

Hi Andrea! I love your projects. What a special quilt. That is such a beautiful idea.

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you blogging agin! I love the father's day page! it is just beautiful and the journaling is beautiful and heartfelt as well.