Thursday, October 20, 2011

A Not So Witchy Hat!

Yes, not all witch hats are drab and ugly... definitely not this hat that I created using some Core'dinations Black Magic cardstock.


I believe it turned out rather pretty if I do say so myself!  Anyway, this Halloween project of mine was featured today on the Core'dinations blog.  We've been having a week long partnering with two other inspiring companies... May Arts and Petaloo!  Check us all out...

THREE awesome companies have come together to inspire you. And our teams have been working hard to create some festive projects for you, too. It’s all about the Holidays. From Halloween to Thanksgiving and even Christmas…you will see festive projects to get those creative juices flowing and hopefully give you some ideas for this time of year.
And of course…there are give-a-ways!!! All three companies will giving away tons and tons of goodies this week so make sure you head over to the Petaloo Blog and May Arts Blog for details and inspirational projects. Don’t forget about Facebook! Join us on our Facebook page here, the May Arts and Petaloo pages, too, for additional chances to win. Make sure you tell them we sent you!

Now getting back to my monogram witch hat, here's a few close-up shots of the details...


Again, I used the Core Black Magic in Warlock, and I tore various strips as to show the texturing of the color core.  I then formed the strips around a paper mache hat that I purchased at Michaels, where I also got the black resin frame used to showcase some orange Tillie dotted Core and a Cricut cut initial monogram.   For the floss-like fibers used in the button ties, I pulled apart the May Arts cording... discarded the white fiber-fill from the inside and just used the flossy threads.
The Petaloo flowers used include Citrus Orange and Nightfall.
 Other supplies include:
Cricut (A Child's Year cartridge - monogram).
Buttons by BoBunny.
Glimmer Mist by Tattered Angels.
Script patterned paper by The Girls' Paperie.
Adhesives by Glue Arts.

13 comments:

Blossom inch said...

Andrea, that hat is so cute and beautiful! love it to bits!

Elizabeth said...

This is adorable and I bet 10 bucks it looks amazing in your house! I can just see it!!!! Have a great weekend friend!
e.

Rebecca Keppel said...

what a gorgeous witches hat! i love tearing and that frame around the A and all the beautiful details!

Nanne said...

that is amazingly cute.. I love the tearing of the papers and all the goodies you added to it..I'd luv to showcase that on my bookshelf :)
Hugs
Nanné

Audrey Pettit said...

What a fabulous partnering and what an amazing project, Andrea! I SO love Halloween, and this witch's hat would make the best decor item. Love how you tore the strips of Core. Makes the hat look old and tattered, yet still so fashionable with the frame and flowers. Awesome, awesome!

angie gutshall said...

Great Job! Love the design and detail!

Sandi Clarkson said...

Wowzer, this is adorable! Love that you tore the paper and wrapped it around .. such a cool effect! Thanks for stopping by my blog .. have a great week!

Beth said...

That is one amazing looking witch hat!! Love the frame with the monogram and how clever of you to dissect the cording from May Arts to get the threads for the look you wanted....the part I like is you didn't have to sew a stitch! ;^)

Connie Mercer said...

I think it turned out fabulous!! great job!!!

Lisa Dorsey said...

That is a very cool hat Andrea! Love how it is not-so-spooky.

dstandard said...

This hat is just spectacular! What a fabulous job - you always amaze me with your work!

Mel said...

Ummm...this is all kinds of FANTASTIC!! I love it!!! Where did you find that ribbon with the chevron print...must get some:)

Amy* said...

Wow! I love how the torn edges of the core look on this witch hat!! Absolutely lovely design...and such a fun way to use core :)